That is the question....
At what age does playing with friends change to hanging out with friends? It seems like Travis and Tyrel played with their friends until they got into Middle School (6th grade) and then all of the sudden it was hanging out.
Well, I am headed out of the garage in the car with Travis the other day to take him over to the District Science Fair and I hadn't seen Trevin get off the bus yet. As we back out of the garage, in my rearview mirror, I see someone who looks incredibly a lot like my Trevin across the street with his friend at the neighbors ducking behind a snowbank that is only like 1 foot high now. Mind you, he has been told numerous times to come in right when he gets off the bus to let me know he is home and then when his homework is done, he can go play with friends.
So, as I get into the street (Travis and I are laughing at this point because Trevin is very obviously thinking he is hiding from me and he is incredibly still thinking I won't see him) I roll down my window and call his name and he still is holding very still but his friend is standing on the sidewalk looking back and forth between me and the hiding culprit. As I call his name a second time, he gets up and knows he has been caught. I say, "What are the rules about coming home from school and checking in with me before you play?" He innocently looks at me and says, "But I wasn't playing." I say, "Well then what were you doing over here at your friends house?" and his reply.................
"Oh, we were just hanging out."
I guess I need to have a new, more specific rule!
Kids........
At what age does playing with friends change to hanging out with friends? It seems like Travis and Tyrel played with their friends until they got into Middle School (6th grade) and then all of the sudden it was hanging out.
Well, I am headed out of the garage in the car with Travis the other day to take him over to the District Science Fair and I hadn't seen Trevin get off the bus yet. As we back out of the garage, in my rearview mirror, I see someone who looks incredibly a lot like my Trevin across the street with his friend at the neighbors ducking behind a snowbank that is only like 1 foot high now. Mind you, he has been told numerous times to come in right when he gets off the bus to let me know he is home and then when his homework is done, he can go play with friends.
So, as I get into the street (Travis and I are laughing at this point because Trevin is very obviously thinking he is hiding from me and he is incredibly still thinking I won't see him) I roll down my window and call his name and he still is holding very still but his friend is standing on the sidewalk looking back and forth between me and the hiding culprit. As I call his name a second time, he gets up and knows he has been caught. I say, "What are the rules about coming home from school and checking in with me before you play?" He innocently looks at me and says, "But I wasn't playing." I say, "Well then what were you doing over here at your friends house?" and his reply.................
"Oh, we were just hanging out."
I guess I need to have a new, more specific rule!
Kids........





3 comments:
That is funny! I love that he was trying to hide behind a foot tall snow bank. Even when you are so mad that they are disobeying, you can't help but laugh at their naive behavior.
That's hilarious! Kids can sure be clever when they're trying to get out of trouble!
LOL that is funny. I like the one foot snow bank he is hiding behind. I Guess that is about the age I started hanging out with friends even though we were really playing something or another.
Post a Comment