Sunday, August 9, 2009

So sad........no blackmail pictures!

Really, I'm glad! But I did want to get some puffy cheeked pictures. Travis had his wisdom teeth out on Thursday and it couldn't have gone better. He was really nervous. I think he was mostly afraid of them not being able to put him out. Our dentist has an oral surgeon and anesthesiologist that come to his often once a month and because Travis' roots were 3/4 of the way down, he wanted them pulled immediately. So, we scheduled him for the middle of girls camp (luckily we were having girls camp close so I was able to come down for the surgery and still be able to have fun at girls camp, more about that later). I left instructions for him to eat breakfast before 7:00 because he couldn't eat or drink anything for 6 hours before the surgery. He was too lazy to get up so he didn't eat or drink anything since the night before at dinner time. Not the best choice he found out later. We went to the office and they took him back. They tried getting the IV in, but since he hadn't been drinking anything, his veins were dehydrated and she had to fish around to find it. She told him in 30 seconds he would feel drowsy and after about 5 seconds he giggled once and was out. They had me leave once they had him out and I ran to the pharmacy to get his pain killers. It was a 20 minute trip total and by the time I got back he was waking up! Amazing! They pulled all 4 in less than 20 minutes. We were there longer getting him to wake up than the actual surgery. Once he was ready to walk, we got him to the car, drove home and got him situated with a movie. The only funny thing he did was tell me that he scored 4 goals. No idea why he was talking about that, but the nurse said that the anesthesia affects everyone differently, they have people singing, laughing, yelling, you name it. When Travis heard that before he went in, he said, "Mom, if I say anything mean or rude, I don't mean it." I thought that was cute that he was apologizing beforehand.

I sat down and wached Mission Impossible II with him so that I could change the gauze in his mouth every 15 minutes. After the first hour it pretty much stopped, but we kept going the full 2 hours they told us to in order to make sure that we got it all and that he wouldn't be swallowing blood and getting sick. I gave him his medicine and stayed down from girls camp that night to keep him on his medication schedule through the night. He said he didn't really hurt though. The next morning before I went back up to camp I got him up to give him his medicine and to take his puffy cheek picture and lo and behold, no puffy cheeks and no pain. He said he felt really good an his arm where the IV was hurt more than his mouth. He wanted eggs and sausage for breakfast. Even after I had bought gallons of ice cream for shakes. Who would have thought.

I thought maybe it would be worse the next day, but he appeared with the rest of the family Saturday morning to pick me and the trailer up from camp and was still feeling fine, in fact, he had gone to the "Stomp" at the high school the night before. It was simply amazing.

So, if you want to see what Travis looked like after getting his wisdom teeth out, I hate to disappoint, but you will have to scroll down and look at the pictures of him in the previous post because he just looked like Travis always does!

1 comment:

Kelly Stanworth said...

Always nice when things go better than expected. I almost called to see how it went, but I figured Travis wouldn't want a nosey neighbor calling to check on him.