Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Oatmeal Disaster, NOT!

Okay, I have to tell a funny story. On Sunday morning I woke up thinking I would be a good wife and mom and make everyone a nice hot breakfast before church. So, I made oatmeal and when I was done I sent Trevin to round everyone up. He came back to the kitchen by himself and said, "Mom, isn't it Fast Sunday?" So, needless to say, I then had 5 cups of leftover cooked oatmeal and I really didn't think it would warm up very good the next morning YUCK! So, I set out to look for recipes that used leftover cooked oatmeal. I had never seen one, all recipes normally call for oatmeal uncooked. Anywho, I found this recipe for bread made with leftover oatmeal, made 5 loaves and it is wonderful, so I thought I would share it.
Oatmeal Bread
1 c. leftover cooked oatmeal
1 c. warm ater
1/8 c. brown sugar
2-4 c. flour
1 tsp. instant yeast
1 tsp. salt
In mixing bowl, stir oatmeal and water together to break up oatmeal. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add brown sugar, salt and 1 c. flour and mix to combine into wet dough. Add additional flour, mixing well after each addition until he dough comes together into a rough dough. When dough holds together, turn onto awell floured counter. Knead, adding more flour as needed, for 2-3 minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Knead for another 3-5 minutes adding more flour as needed. Surface should be smooth and not sticky. Place dough in bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and shape into loaf. Place in a bread pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise until double again. Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 30 minutes. Butter top of loaf. Dump out of pan and let cool an hour before slicing. This makes a really moist loaf of bread. Yummy.
That's all! It wasn't so bad of a disaster after all.

No comments: