Sunday, July 5, 2009

Herbie at the Derby


We had a blast on the 4th of July! We went down to Leamington for visiting with the fam, had an early dinner, celebrated Jaron's birthday (I'll post pictures of that later) and then went to Delta to the Derby. It was so much fun! Tyrel went last year with Greg but Sean, Travis and I hadn't been since Travis was 1 and Trevin had never been. I forgot how much fun it is! Funny thing happened, out of all the thousands of people there, we ended up sitting right next to our next door neighbor from here! LOL. Anyway, we only got sprinkled on a little bit until it was over, then the heavens opened and we got drenched on the way to the car. Sean's favorite was the mini car races. Trevin loved Greg's friend's truck. Travis liked the truck destruction. Tyrel hated the car that was painted like a tiger because it reminded him of the Bengals, but he loved the derby. I think we will have to go more often than every 16 years because it was a lot of fun. It was pretty dusty at the beginning, but Greg went and told them to spray it down because we were all choking and then it was much better.
Everyone's favorite was the little VW that was painted like Herbie. It was in the lead and then got hit right at the end and died and couldn't get restarted. I think it was only 2 laps short of being the winner. Oh the moaning and the disgruntled fans! LOL.
We all decided that the key to winning was to have a Cadillac or an Imperial and to force your opponents up into the berm so that they got stuck.
The fireworks were pretty lame. I guess we have been spoiled by going to the Stadium of Fire every year up here. Actually Greg thought they were lame too. Anyway, it was fun.
I just want to add how glad I am to live here in America and to have the gospel in my life. We have been so blessed in so many ways. I can't imagine living anywhere else. I was really struck when we were singing today in church by the line "O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife, Who more than self their country loved, And mercy more than life!" I'm so proud and thankful for those who love this country more than themselves and are willing to fight and give their lives so that I can live in the land of the free and have the rights that I have, especially the freedom to live the gospel that has blessed us so much in our lives. I know that our Heavenly Father guided our forefathers to prepare this land and grant us the rights that we have so that this land was prepared for the restoration of the gospel and so we might be able to have those blessings along with many others.

No comments: