Saturday, April 16, 2011

Grandma's Birthday

Yesterday was my sweet grandmother's birthday.  My aunt had a card shower for her, and I didn't get one sent.  So, Aunt Terri, I know you will probably read this, so if you can print it out for Grandma, I would really appreciate it.  Give her a hug and a kiss for me too please.


Grandma, I wanted to put down some of my thoughts and memories of you and thought your birthday would be a great excuse to do it. I remember loving to get to have sleepovers at your house in Boulder. I loved playing “jail” on the stairs and I thought your upstairs bathroom was like something you would find in a palace. I remember many Thanksgiving dinners at your house with relish trays of my favorite “celery with cheese” and who can forget your most awesome banana cream pie. You make better meringue than anyone I know. My very favorite all time memory was playing with your buttons. It seemed like you had millions of them and I loved sorting them by size, shape, color, age, fancy vs plain and many other ways. I was so sad to find out that you had disposed of them. I always hoped secretly that you really didn’t get rid of them and that my kids would be able to play with them someday. After you moved to Longmont, I remember getting to take piano lessons from you. It was hard to ride my bike up that hill, but it was fun to get to play the piano at your house. Some of my most fond memories are sitting around the piano while you played and getting to play the “bark, bark” part of “How Much is that Doggie in the Window”. I also remember songs like “Yes, We Have No Bananas”, “Blowin in the Wind”, “My Gal’s A Corker”, “I’ve been Workin On The Railroad” and many more. I remember preparing cookies with you while Heidi planted flowers with grandpa every Spring. I admire your sewing skills and love that I was able to come out that one summer to have you help me make dresses. It was fun working side by side to do that. The “twirly” dresses you always made us for Easter every year were so beautiful and fun and I also remember our “Little House On The Prairie” dresses that you made. I also admire your quilting skills and the many crafts you have made for my home to decorate during the holidays. You always look so classy and it seemed like you never changed when I was little. You always look so pretty and put together. I have enjoyed the times I’ve been able to visit with you now that I’m older and that you were always willing to let me bring the kids out and spend some time with you. They love the times spent at the “Butterfly Pavillion” and going out to eat with you. Travis still talks about the time he came out with my parents and was able to visit with you about the “old days”. I’ve loved hearing stories from you about when you were first married and about my dad when he was little. He was lucky and blessed to be raised by such great parents. I love you so much and hope that your birthday was simply fantastic. I wish I could have been there to celebrate it with you. Know that our thoughts are with you. We miss you and love you to pieces!

Love,
Lori
Your “Angel”


No comments: