Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Electric Ukulele


OK, so funny thing happened.... Travis' science teacher this year is really big on having all of his students enter the science fair because of the opportunity to move on to district and state and nationals and get scholarships. (I hate science fair projects by the way, we always opt for something really easy) Anywho, Travis and his friend Daniel decide they are going to invent an "Electric Ukulele". So they spend their whole 3 months of prep time bidding on ukulele's. They finally won one and when it got here from California, it was smashed in because they did a poor packaging job. So, this puts us to within 2 weeks of the actual science fair. They had already ordered their pezioelectric pickup and had it so Sean made an emergency run to the music store in Spanish Fork and bought a ukulele. Travis and Daniel then spent a very short amount of time using electric tape to tape their pickup to their ukulele. They plugged it into the amp and wa-laa, it works. Not like an electrict guitar mind you, because it has nylon strings, but it did amplify the sound.

They then proceeded to spend the next 1 1/2 weeks every night after school watching some Hawaiian guy on U-Tube teach them how to play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". We made their cute little display (which took about 10 times longer than the actual project) with palm trees and surfboards and a sunshine.

Travis came home saying how wonderfully he had performed for the judges and how impressed they were with him and Sean and I are looking at each other thinking "yeah, right!" but we were glad they had fun.

So, we go down for the open house for the science fair and we were going to just cut out before the awards assembly, but did decide to stay. First they handed out the participation prizes (candy bars) to everyone that participated but didn't place in the finals. They didn't call Travis' name, so we thought they had just forgotten him.

Next, they announce the third and 2nd place prizes, still no mention of Travis Nielsen. So Sean and I are sitting there giving each other puzzled looks wondering if they forgot him or if he really did win. So, they say "First place in the Engineering with a Prototype category, Travis Nielsen and Daniel Allred for their Electric Ukulele." Sean and I start laughing, all the girls start cheering, I start wondering if they are going to throw things at them because they had to listen to that annoying song for two days.....

Who would have thought that a kid of mine would win the science fair? Surely not me!

4 comments:

Todd and Haylee said...

That story is so funny! I really like that scrapbook page and your new background. I am getting sick of mine!

Kelly Stanworth said...

Oh, love the new background for your blog. Let me guess??? You made it? I really like it! Travis was telling us all about his project when he was over the other day. He was pretty proud of himself and we were proud of him, too. Crazy to watch your boys grow, especially Travis because it seems like he changes and grows every week.

Cindy said...

You put 2008, wasn't it this year? Darling page!

Anonymous said...

That's so cool--Tell Travis congratulations!

Oh, and I love the page!