I received some great photos from my aunt today of my grandpa Evers as he served in the military. He was in the Army first and then when the Air Force was created, he joined the Air Force. He was in the military much of his life and I'm proud of him and my other grandfather for serving our country. My dad was also in the military for 4 years when I was just a baby. I was able to get these two great pages scrapped with the information that my aunt sent me.
The top picture of my Grandpa George Evers was taken when he was getting ready to leave for Morocco in 1956 for a year. The family moved to Minden at that time to be close to family - Terri was 4 years old, Ron was 11 and my Dad (Bob) was 10. The bottom picture is Grandpa and Ron in 1945.
Grandpa enlisted in the Army Air Corps on August 19, 1940 at Fort Crook, Nebraska.
He later joined the U.S. Air Force. He retired at Hanscom A.F.B., Massachusetts in
1962. He served 21 years.
The letter reads:
Dear Mother & Dad,
I received your letter today and it did seem good to hear from home. I heard from Jo and Ray this past week. They were all pretty good. There is one thing I wanted to tell you first of all if you should happen to see Bert Anderson, Harold Neveile, or Carl Hemje some time, if they should get a letter from the FBI or the Intelligence Dept, or from the Army concerning me, just to tell them what ever they think. You see I put their names on my personal history form that is to be filed withe the War Department allong with my other records. I’ll never never know what they put down, but I hope they put down whatever they think. I got another vaccination for Yellow Fever today, there wasn’t to much to it so far. I got the shaving stick OK. I have used it several times. It seems to work pretty good when you can get good hot water, but we don’t always have that here. They are ready to turn out the lights so I’ll have to close this now and get some rest, I’ll try again Later. Love, Geo.






No comments:
Post a Comment