Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One Year Older and Wiser Too....

Well, a week and a half has passed since Sean's party and I finally got some time to make the layouts so I could post the pictures. These are the few I got with my camera while I was running around trying to entertain. I think Jen got some with her camera that I'll need to get later.

So if you are wondering how I pulled off the surprise, it really was quite easy. He had a scout campout Friday night, so he was gone from around 4:00 Friday to around noon on Saturday. So Friday night I went to work on the food. I baked two of the sheet cakes (my friend Kara offered to cook the third one when she brought her crock pots over for me). Then I put the roasts in 4 crock pots to cook overnight. We had BBQ pork sandwiches, Sean's sisters and mom and my mom and one of my neighbors all brought salads. Then we had cake and ice cream for dessert with Sean's moms yummy hot fudge sauce.
I think MaKayla liked the cake, don't you?
On Saturday morning I shredded the roasts and left some in one of the crock pots to cover for the smell and put all the rest in my big oven roaster and put it downstairs in the mother-in-law apartment because he never goes in there. The one I left cooking upstairs worked well to explain why the whole house smelled like BBQ pork. When Sean got home at noon, I sat down with him and the boys to watch the BYU football game. After it was over, Sean went to his office to listen to the postgame show which is exactly as I had planned. One flaw.... he got hungry and about 15 minutes before everyone was to arrive went up to the kitchen and was scrounging around for food and watching college football on the TV in the kitchen. Frantically I sent Travis up to ask him to come down to play guitar hero with him so he wouldn't see everyone arriving. Once everyone got there (I stashed them all on the deck outside and closed the blinds) I hollered at them to come up for dinner. As he went over to turn on the TV, I opened the door to the deck and everyone yelled, "Surprise!" He definitely was. I gave him a scrapbook with stuff from the boys in it. The boys gave him a new Guitar Hero Aerosmith game, and his family got him a tree, which he promptly made them plant. He got some money from my parents and various cards from some of the neighbors along with some Depends Leak Guards from the Smiths and a Mountain Dew T Shirt along with some EZ open bottles of Mt. Dew from the Kolibars. It ended up being a fun night with lots of neighbors stopping by to visit. Raymond and Bernice (his best friends parents) were able to come also and it was fun to get to see them.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Those are great. Looks like the party was a lot of fun too.

Todd and Haylee said...

Cute pages!

Lisa Miller said...

Wow! 40!!! I thought him and Dan were close together. Happy belated birthday to Sean. Sounds like fun and you planned it well.