Wednesday, December 3, 2008

County Fair



And you thought the Fairs were over for the year right?!


Every year for 4th grade, when they learn about the counties in Utah, they have the 4th graders pick a county. Then they have to learn about it and do a display about the population, sights to see, thing to do, economy, etc. All of my boy's have picked Uintah County because it is one of our favorite places to visit and recreate in. They have all done their own projects though. This is Trevin with his project. They let all of the classes come through to see their displays and the parents get to come in too. It is kind of fun. This is my last county fair project to help with though. Now just a few science fair projects left. They grow up too fast!


Trevin also was learning about Land Forms in social studies a couple of weeks ago. They were each assigned a land or water form like cliff, peninsula, ocean, river, canyon, etc.... You get the idea Anyway they were supposed to make a 3D reprepsentation of their land form. Trevin had Penninsula so we started out with making it from clay and I forgot to add the food coloring to the salt dough and while I was frantically looking for it, it overcooked. Not a good thing by the way. So we went to plan B which turned out to be much better anyway. We made it from cake and then the class got to eat it. Here is a picture of his land form with a blue frosting ocean around it. Sorry it isn't scrapped all cutsie, but I haven't got around to this one yet. Please ignore the crumbs and fingerprints all over my counter!

4 comments:

Todd and Haylee said...

If you miss it too much, I'll let you help my boys with their projects! lol

Anonymous said...

I think I might have to copy your idea in a couple years. I would much rather make cake than clay!!

*We're Unplugged* said...

I really want to take a big bite out of the middle of Tallahassee. Do you think anyone would mind?

Lisa Miller said...

They let you do that out of cake? I should have thought of that for Zach's map of California. The kids would have loved it. We're just starting with science fair projects. Fun for me!!