Friday, October 3, 2008

Dang Deer!

Remember my nice little garden that Sean and the boys got ready for me for Mother's Day? (see post here) Well, it was our first garden since moving to this house and just a couple of weeks ago we opened our last jar of salsa. So, we planted tomatoes and peppers so I could bottle more salsa this year along with our zucchini, summer squash, and cucumbers. Well, the zucchini, cucumbers and peppers are fine, but the dang deer have discovered our tomatoes and summer squash. My cherry tomato plants are gnawed about half way to the ground, my almost ripe regular tomatoes and roma tomatoes have huge bites out of them, and the squash is in the same shape! It is so depressing. I was so looking forward to making salsa and having BLT's with garden tomatoes. My neighbors sleep with their windows open and they have heard them and chased them away numerous times. Sean has told the boys to go out at night and pee around the garden because the scent will deter the deer (but none of them have done it) I guess next year we will have to plant lavender around the edges. I heard that will keep them away because the scent is so strong. Plus, it looks pretty! I guess that is what we get for building our home where their home used to be!

1 comment:

Todd and Haylee said...

I am sure that I could get Corbin to pee around your garden. :)