Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Guitar Concert

Here is one of the songs Travis played at the guitar concert. He'll be mad at me for posting this, but what is a mom for if not to embarass her children?


We love you Travis!

The boy on Travis' right is Tyler Hendricksen from our ward and the boy that you can just see his eyeballs and top of his head is Brad Badders from our ward. They are both in Travis' guitar class. This is the first of two songs they played but the other one was just strumming and they played the CD of the song along with it so you couldn't hear the guitar part very well. I missed the concert because I was in charge of the YW/YM combined activity that night so Sean went and taped it and then my wonderful neighbor Brother Moody helped me get it off the camera and on to a DVD which Sean then converted to the correct type and we finally got it uploaded to YouTube after a week. Our activity was pretty fun. We did an Amazing Race in the church. The teams had to look up a scripture reference that led them to some place in the building where they got a puzzle piece and their next clue. We had a team that thought it would be fun move the clues though, so it kind of ended up being frustrating for some of the teams. We will have to make sure we send an adult with the deacons next time. If anyone is interested, I can email you the rules and the scripture references we used.

We got a lot accomplished this weekend. I finally cut out a vinyl sticker for the window of my car. I've been wanting to do it for a long time but couldn't come up with what I wanted. I'll have to take a picture and show you one of these days.

We participated in the citywide emergency drill. We were the "mystery family" in our neighborhood and we had to pretend someone died at our house. So we hung out our black paper and then when they came to check on us we told them that Tyrel had died so they radioed in and sent the Bishop to "grief counsel" us.

Carolyn called me about the 40 lb box of chicken at Macey's for a great deal. I think everyone else in the family that got a box is canning theirs, but Tyrel and I divided, vacuum sealed and froze ours. Sean got the deer that our neigbors gave us butchered, wrapped, and put in the freezer, so we are full of meat now. I also finally filled our 50 gallon water barrels with water. We have had them since Y2K I think, but have never filled them. I feel much better now that they are full of water. We watched the BYU game some time in the middle of all the meat packing and Saturday chores and grief counseling.

Sunday we had the monthly birthday dinner and a farewell party for Sharlynn at our house. Sharlynn is moving to California this morning. We will miss her! I made two cakes that were so yummy! You really have to try them. The chocolate zucchini cake recipe is here and the orange zucchini cake recipe is here. Some of the chocoholics actually liked the orange cake. It was amazing. My friend Kara has tons of great recipes on her blog, so try them all!

3 comments:

Kelly Stanworth said...

I did the 40lbs of chicken, too! Loved the sticker on your car...still have to decide what to put on my car. Way to go on getting prepared. Between what you did on Saturday and the cannery stuff you did a while back, (and what I already know you've got stashed away) you guys are doing great. We're plugging away at the food storage...gotta do the water thing, too.

wermakingmemories said...

Tell Travis that he did a great job!

Lisa Miller said...

I would love to have all the specifics on the ym/yw activity. I'm over the mia maids and we're in charge of 2 next year. Will you send it to me? mmiller9@bak.rr.com
Sounds like you're working on preparedness as well.