Monday, January 11, 2010

Science Fair Project


I'm grateful we got Trevin's Science Fair project started. I didn't think it would be so much work. I guess it has been too many years since I've had a 5th grader to remember. He decided he wanted to grow crystals a couple weeks ago, but I didn't think that was much of an experiment, too easy. So we decided he would grow salt crystals and sugar crystals in all kinds of different liquids to see which one would grow the best crystals. It took us 3 hours. We had to go to the store to buy some of the liquids. Then, I forgot that you had to have boiling liquid to dissolve the salt and sugar, so we had to boil each of the 10 liquids separately, so it took us forever. I didn't want to dirty lots of dishes, so we kept using the same one and just rinsing it out after each liquid. Now I'm thinking it would have been better to dirty 4 pans and a microwave bowl and do it faster. Oh well! These are the liquids he decided on
water
vinegar
bleach
club soda
coke
koolaid
lemonade
apple juice
grape juice
Shasta
I'm pretty sure the bleach will just eat through the string. I'm not sure it will grow crystals at all, but we shall see. Now we just have to wait and take pictures every couple of days.

No comments: