Saturday, May 22, 2010

Buckets of Tears

Trevin woke up yesterday morning (1/2 hour before he is supposed to get on the bus) and says, "Oh, mom, I forgot to tell you, today is the 5th grade talent show at 12:30."  I'm not too concerned since he hasn't been practicing a talent so I say, "That's nice, but I don't have to be there if you aren't in it right?"

"But I am in it," he states.

So, I ask him what he is doing, he says he is lip syncing.  I ask what song, he says the song from Horton Hears A Who. (I Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon)  Undoubtedly one of the best songs from my era, but definitely not what I imagined him picking.  So, I ask him if he knows it and why he hasn't been practicing all the while thinking, "Is lip syncing a talent?"  He says he has it on his playlist and has been practicing, so I hit play and tell him to show me.  He knows like one word from each line and is just standing there looking bored with his hands at his side.  Before we even hit the chorus, I nix the idea.  Hence starting the buckets of tears.  He thinks I am picking on him, I think I'm sparing him embarassment.

After I get him calmed down, I ask if there is a song he knows all the words to that is a little more upbeat.  He says, 'What I've Done by Linkin Park."  So, I hit play on his playlist and tell him to sing.  He does know all the words but is still standing there like a sad little puppy dog. I ask if that is all he's going to do (more buckets needed here).  I explain again, that I'm not picking on him, just trying to help him figure this out.  So I send him downstairs for a CD to burn, I download the song and start praying that the school has the ability to play the song in MP3 format.

When he gets back, I ask if he knows if the school can play it, he doesn't know.  I ask him if he wants to take Trav's electric guitar to pretend like he is playing, can't find it, (running out of tissues and time at this point).

So, we settle for jeans with holes in the knees (in great abundance at this time of the year anyway) some sunglasses, and the guitar from the Guitar Hero game.

So, at 12:30, I go to the school, find a comfy seat by my friends, get the camera ready, watch multi talented gymnasts, piano players, dancers, and singers.  Trevin is up about half way through.  They put in his CD, and...................nothing.  I go over and tell the lady doing the techie stuff that it is in MP3 format and she says it should work, eventually it does.

He did an awesome job rocking out, tried to throw the guitar around his neck/shoulder and almosts strangled himself and got all his little friends in the audience rocking out.  I guess it turned out to be a success even though it stressed me out.  He wasn't the only lip sync-er, so alls well that ends well.

In other news today, Father and Son's outing was cancelled because the reserved spot is still gated off because of snow.  Gotta love global warming.

I got up at 7:00 a.m. to do a fun speed scrap.

The house is clean and the laundry is done!

No comments: