Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New kit and my detective skills (or lack thereof)

I've spent most of the day today working on a new digital scrapbooking kit we have coming out in August.  It is called Surf's up and has an Earthy beachy feel to it.  I'm loving it!  I created lots of fun and unique elements for it that have never been in any of our other kits and it was kinda fun! 

I also have been spending some time trying to find a picture of my dad in his military uniform.  I emailed my mom, she said she only remembers seeing him once in his uniform before they were married and doesn't have a picture

I emailed my aunt and this is what she had to say
Lori - Your Dad was a pain in the pa-tooty when it came to him and his uniform. If there was ever a picture of him in his uniform it would be something I'd like to see - did you ask your Mom? I'll lay odds that he never had one taken. Other than your Mom - none of us ever saw your Dad in his dress uniform. You'll have to ask him why because I don't know.
When he came home after basic training in Texas it was around Christmas time (if I remember right) - we were all so excited that he was coming home. His plane didn't get in until late evening. We all went out to Stapleton Airport to pick him up, but, no Bob on the flight he was suppose to be on. We waited around, looked every where. In those days there was no cell phones so we had no idea if he was actually on the plane or not - as military flew standby.

Disappointed we drove home to Boulder and hoped we would hear that he would be coming the next day. Well that stinker was at the airport the whole time! He didn't want us to see him in his uniform so some how he snuck by us into the bathroom to change. In order for him to fly standby he had to wear his uniform. We no more walked in the door and the phone was ringing and it was him. So we all jumped back in the car and headed back to the airport. I think we were all just so excited that he was home that he got off easy on his little escapade........

So that's the story of your Dad and his uniform. I've never seen a picture with him in it - and don't know if he ever had one taken
 
I talked with my dad and he said he thinks they took one when he was at basic training and if they did, he sent it back to his mom, my grandma.
 
I talked with grandma and she said she doesn't remember ever seeing a picture from him.
 
I emailed the military bases where he did his basic training and his schooling and they said they don't archive photos by name that far back (I guess I should have decided to be a detective a long time ago instead of waiting till now)
 
So, I guess I'm pretty much out of luck and it makes me sad that there isn't a known photo in existence.  Kinda frustrating since I would love to do a layout of him in uniform for my kids scrapbooks. 
 
On the bright side, I do have photos of both of my grandfathers so I will be putting them in layouts!

No comments: