Saturday, February 27, 2010

Intelligent thoughts

I just had a thought and decided I would post it here so I don't forget it.

I was at the store about 3 weeks ago and they had cheddar cheese in 2 pound bricks on sale for $2.79! That is an amazing deal. So I quickly snatched 4 or 5 of them and brought them home and froze them. I freeze bricks of mozzerella cheese quite often and don't have any problems with it. I seem to have forgotten that when you thaw it out and try to grate cheddar cheese after it has been frozen, it just crumbles.

So, lesson learned, don't freeze cheddar cheese! But this morning I had the thought that if I grate it before I freeze it, the problem would be solved, so next time I find an amazing deal on cheese, that is my solution. We shall see if it works.

3 comments:

Janice said...

It will absolutely work. I have frozen cheese like that for years. Smart woman!!

Brett and Andrea Evers said...

Here is a tip: (I speak from experience) don't vacuum pack shredded cheese and then freeze it. It becomes a big blob of cheese. I thought I would be smart and shred cheese, vacuum pack it and freeze it. It's not pretty.
I usually buy the big bags of shredded cheese at Sam's Club, put it into smaller bags, and then freeze it. It works great.

Troy and Lisa said...

We freeze grated cheddar and parmesan a lot with no problems!